As National Assisted Living Week comes to an end, it is a good time to review who might be an appropriate candidate for assisted living:
- An individual who needs help with Activities of Daily Living (ADL’s) such as dressing and bathing
- An individual that needs help with medication management
- Someone who misses meals or needs reminders to eat
- Someone who can no longer manage household chores
- Someone who has difficulty controlling bowel and bladder
- Anyone who has difficulty expressing themselves verbally
Assisted Living Facility costs are not covered by health insurance and are generally paid for through private funds. Costs vary depending on the location, size, and services offered at the facility. In order to assist with these costs, some states do have subsidies available, some Veterans and their spouses may be eligible for VA subsidies, and long term care policies cover a portion of the cost depending on the specific policy. For assistance in locating an Assisted Living Facility that is the right fit for you or your loved one, contact your area Aging Life Care Specialist to assist.
Wendy Miller, LCSW-C, CSW-G is an Aging Life Care Specialist, Clinical Social Worker and Principal of Annapolis Senior Care Solutions located in Annapolis, MD.